[Gambas-user] Where's the most appropriate place for a scad of questions

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Jan 2 09:50:32 CET 2008

On mercredi 2 janvier 2008, richard terry wrote:
> I've only recently installed Gambas2 (after looking at Gambas in its
> infancy a long time ago) and I must say I'm really impressed. Yes, I'm
> aware I can post to this list or the forums.
>
> Some quick background.
>
> Though a medical doctor by trade, and a self taught programmer since the
> early 1980's (cut my teeth on assembler and FORTH, I programmed in VB from
> VB3-VB6 for a long period, and wrote a number of apps some of which are
> still used by the commerical organisations I wrote them for back in the
> late 90's - VB/Access based.
>
> My own apps run here at work (General Practice in Australia) - a medical
> records system written in VB which has been in use now for 10yrs), and I've
> been looking to replace/update them for some time.
>
> I've been involved with gnumed (www.gnumed.net) for a few years, which has
> made only very slow and incremental progress, and upskilled myself on
> postgres and wxPython, where I can pretty much code any complex gui I want
> by hand. Time however has beaten me as my workload is so heavy, so I was
> pleasantly surprised at just how good gambas2 has become, and am tempted to
> start some experimental development in that.
>
> So to the point - not having programmed in VB for 10 years, but being
> familar with that, I've been writing down a number of
> observations/questions/ as I've started to explore gambas, and wondered
> who/where, I could direct them to.
>
> My experience with lists/forums over the years has been variable, and of
> course, whilst I'm more than happy to post 'in expectation' to the list,
> often ones questions are not answered so I wondered if there was anyone on
> the list who has a deep and extensive knowledge of gambas and who actually
> writes apps for the real world, who would be prepared to field a few
> questions personally via email.
>
> Also, as I've picked up bugs as I've gone, if I persist with gambas, I'd
> like to be able to contribute to the community by bug
> reporting/suggestions. I did download the svn, but for some reason couldn't
> get it to work. I wondered how far ahead of the 1.9.90 release in terms of
> functionality would be the SVN code.
>
> My linux distribution (best in the world of course is ARCHLINUX, so I used
> the package from community to install gambas2.
>
> Any comments/help/suggestions appreciated.
>
> Richard

Just use this mailing-list to post your questions/comment/bug reports.
Alternatively, for bug reports, you can use the gambasrad.org web site.

Personally, I prefer the mailing-list so that everything is public and
archived, and because every people can answer your problems, not only me.

Benoit Minisini