[Gambas-user] Where's the most appropriate place for a scad of questions

richard terry rterry at ...1822...
Wed Jan 2 05:11:43 CET 2008

I've only recently installed Gambas2 (after looking at Gambas in its infancy a
long time ago) and I must say I'm really impressed. Yes, I'm aware I can post
to this list or the forums.

Some quick background.

Though a medical doctor by trade, and a self taught programmer since the early
1980's (cut my teeth on assembler and FORTH, I programmed in VB from VB3-VB6
for a long period, and wrote a number of apps some of which are still used by
the commerical organisations I wrote them for back in the late 90's -
VB/Access based.

My own apps run here at work (General Practice in Australia) - a medical
records system written in VB which has been in use now for 10yrs), and I've
been looking to replace/update them for some time.

I've been involved with gnumed (www.gnumed.net) for a few years, which has
made only very slow and incremental progress, and upskilled myself on
postgres and wxPython, where I can pretty much code any complex gui I want by
hand. Time however has beaten me as my workload is so heavy, so I was
pleasantly surprised at just how good gambas2 has become, and am tempted to
start some experimental development in that.

So to the point - not having programmed in VB for 10 years, but being familar
with that, I've been writing down a number of observations/questions/ as I've
started to explore gambas, and wondered who/where, I could direct them to.

My experience with lists/forums over the years has been variable, and of
course, whilst I'm more than happy to post 'in expectation' to the list,
often ones questions are not answered so I wondered if there was anyone on
the list who has a deep and extensive knowledge of gambas and who actually
writes apps for the real world, who would be prepared to field a few
questions personally via email.

Also, as I've picked up bugs as I've gone, if I persist with gambas, I'd like
to be able to contribute to the community by bug reporting/suggestions.
I did download the svn, but for some reason couldn't get it to work. I
wondered how far ahead of the 1.9.90 release in terms of functionality would
be the SVN code.

My linux distribution (best in the world of course is ARCHLINUX, so I used the
package from community to install gambas2.

Any comments/help/suggestions appreciated.

Richard