[Gambas-user] Ideas for developing

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Oct 27 12:41:06 CEST 2007

On samedi 27 octobre 2007, Tomas Eroles i Forner wrote:
> Hi all!
> As an idea, I believe it could be useful to add a small part in the IDE
> as a little help for propierties.
> I explain myself: sometimes is not easy to remember the properties or
> the real meaning of a control, and have to do some tests. For example,
> Background and Foreground properties are easy, but, what does it means
> the Tag property in a HSplit control?
> Then, my proposition is to put ballons or a small text on the bottom of
> list properties, for example, where to explain the meaning of a
> property.
> Background: Sets the color for the background of the control
> Expand: Sets if control expands its size when form is maximized
>
> Something like that.
>
> Bye

This is a good idea, but who will write that? This is an huge job!

And these help text must be translatable in any language.

Concretely, to be easily translatable, they should be put directly inside the
IDE, in a module, with translatable strings. This way:

' Module MPropertyHelp

PUBLIC Help AS New Collection

PUBLIC SUB _init()

  Help["Control.Background"] = ("Background color of the control")
  Help["Control.Foreground"] = ("Foreground color of the control")
  Help["Control.Tag"] = ("Put whatever you want in this property")
  Help["Control.Expand"] = ("Tells if the control should expand as much as
possible inside its container, provided that the container Arrangement
property is set.")
  Help["HSplit.Layout"] = ("List of each HSplit pane dimensions")

END

Many properties are inherited, so, for example, you just have to write
Help["Control.Background"] for the Background property of all controls.

Write this module, and I will make the balloon tooltips appears. :-)

Benoit Minisini