[Gambas-user] Marketing

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Nov 28 18:08:53 CET 2007

On mercredi 28 novembre 2007, Werner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been on and off this mailing list for 3 years now and have used
> Gambas once a year for a charity event. I like it very much.
>
> I had a look at http://gambas.sourceforge.net/ and somehow the headlines
> struck me as odd:
>
>     1) Gambas almost means BASIC
>     2) Welcome to the Gambas shrine!
>
> Say if I was a programmer sitting on a pile of VB code and trying to
> escape the claws of Microsoft I might google around and eventually find
> the web site. Being overworked/tired, I might easily read this as:
>
>     1) Gambas is almost BASIC (I would propably not be familiar with
> GNU's not UNIX)
> I could give me the impression that the the software is in alpha state
> and/or is only a little bit like BASIC.
>
>     2) Gambas shrine/ashram/temple? These must be some religious nuts.
>
> Seriously, is this the best we can do when Gambas is about to pass an
> important milestone? None of the headers give any hint of what Gambas
> actually is.
>
> Sorry for being provocative.
>
> Best Regards
> Werner Dahn

English is not my language, so I am not aware of all the meaning hidden behind
words and expressions.

"Gambas almost means BASIC" is just a recursive acronym, it does not aim at
meaning actually anything. Anyway, "almost means" should not mean the same
thing as "almost is" as you wrote.

The Gambas shrine is just another play on words.

I don't know if this is the best *we* can do, but it is just what *I* did. :-)

What is underlying is that I don't want to take Gambas and computing languages
too seriously. I don't like marketing too. I am not good at that anyway.

This is a programming language, and a development environment. The only real
way to know what there is inside is using it. So I could have put random
words on the web site main page, I don't think it would have change a lot of
thing. :-)

But if you have some proposal to make the web site clearer and better, you are
welcome to send them.

Benoit Minisini