[Gambas-user] Marketing

Wed Nov 28 16:43:08 CET 2007

Werner schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I have been on and off this mailing list for 3 years now and have used
> Gambas once a year for a charity event. I like it very much.
>
> I had a look at http://gambas.sourceforge.net/ and somehow the headlines
> struck me as odd:
>
>     1) Gambas almost means BASIC
>     2) Welcome to the Gambas shrine!
>
> Say if I was a programmer sitting on a pile of VB code and trying to
> escape the claws of Microsoft I might google around and eventually find
> the web site. Being overworked/tired, I might easily read this as:
>
>     1) Gambas is almost BASIC (I would propably not be familiar with
> GNU's not UNIX)
> I could give me the impression that the the software is in alpha state
> and/or is only a little bit like BASIC.
>
>     2) Gambas shrine/ashram/temple? These must be some religious nuts.
>
> Seriously, is this the best we can do when Gambas is about to pass an
> important milestone? None of the headers give any hint of what Gambas
> actually is.
>
> Sorry for being provocative.
>
> Best Regards
> Werner Dahn

Hi Werner,

no, it's not such a bad thought. I must admit, I never saw it from that
side. Maybe I've stuck with Gambas and Linux for too long time to get
such an impression (although I program(med) a lot with VB). I just found
it funny.

For the shrine, it might be better placed somewhere deeper inside the
site (a shrine is located in the inner place of a temple after all).

There is nothing such as "the BASIC", there is no standard. So Gambas
may be called a BASIC. Full stop. But it was this play with language, as
  this acronym gives its own name.

Rolf