[Gambas-user] An ask about all and nothing

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Nov 7 23:11:26 CET 2007

On mercredi 7 novembre 2007, Leonardo Miliani wrote:
> I've tried 2 times Mandriva in the past... Mandriva 2007.1 and Mandriva
> 2008.0.
> Both the times I deleted it after a couple of days because I got several
> problems during the installations of the dependencies required to
> compile... Gambas!
> The system seems pretty good on the paper... but I think urpmi isn't
> stable enough to use it to radically upgrade or modify your system.

Funny, as I developed Gambas on Mandriva since the very first line of
code. :-) But I never upgrade a full system, I always do a full
reinstallation. It is faster, provided you have put your /home on its own
partition of course.

> Now I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and it's a great distro, stable, easy to use,
> with the best package manager I've ever seen (synaptic/apt-get) and with
> a great community.

Maybe, but they cannot correctly package the QT library yet. :-)

Frankly, the difference now between urpmi, yum, apt-get... is less and less
important, as the features are converging. You have problems only when
packages are badly made, whatever the distribution you use.

--
Benoit Minisini