[Gambas-user] An ask about all and nothing

Jose J. Rodriguez joe1962 at ...626...
Tue Nov 6 16:52:09 CET 2007

Oh boy, I'd written a nice long answer, but Gmail didn't save the draft, so
I lost it when I went off to check another email for some info. Here goes a
shorter version, sorry...

On Nov 6, 2007 1:04 PM, Fabien Bodard <gambas.fr at ...626...> wrote:

> Hi to all...
>
> I've a big ask... I think i'm going to leave (quit) my kubuntu
> distribution,
> i've too many problem on it.
>
> I want to know if you know a good Distrib kde based... with a good preview
> on
> kde4 and light and easy to use...
>
> I've look at vector linux... but is there a Good french support Jose j. ?
>  KDE
> 4 beta package ?

We have qt4 packages in the repo for some time now and there is talk of
building KDE4, though I can't say for sure if our KDE packages will wait for
final or not. A lot of efforts are going into VL 5.9 right now, which is
almost at RC1 stage.

The current text installer is English-only, but a new gui one is under
development in gambas2 (BTW, any help on this would be appreciated), so it
will be translatable. Once installed, you can change the language by
changing the locale, or changing the language pack in KDE. About 4 or 5
language packs are in the iso, to keep it to 1 CD size, but all the rest are
in the online repo. KDE 3.5.8 is there.

I really think VL is a good gambas distro, g1 runtime has been a part of the
base system for some time and several of our utilities are made in gambas or
are being ported to it. G2 packages are also in the repo and we try to keep
up with the tarball releases. I am currently modifying my build scripts to
produce Benoit-approved gambas packages, not the full and runtime (with all
components) packages that we use now.

Regards,
Joe1962