[Gambas-user] An ask about all and nothing

Leonardo Miliani leonardo at ...1237...
Wed Nov 7 22:54:15 CET 2007

I've tried 2 times Mandriva in the past... Mandriva 2007.1 and Mandriva
2008.0.
Both the times I deleted it after a couple of days because I got several
problems during the installations of the dependencies required to
compile... Gambas!
The system seems pretty good on the paper... but I think urpmi isn't
stable enough to use it to radically upgrade or modify your system.

Now I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and it's a great distro, stable, easy to use,
with the best package manager I've ever seen (synaptic/apt-get) and with
a great community.

I've tried Kubuntu last year (6.04, I think) but I disliked it!!
Too buggy if compared to Ubuntu: it seems a minor son if compared to the
other distro!

Now I'm waiting LinuxMint 4.0 (based on Ubuntu 7.10): I've used
LinuxMint 3.0 and 3.1 and they were very beautiful.

But if you look for a KDE-based distro I can suggest you 2 names: Suse
(that I've used for more than 2 years with positive impressions) and the
newest Sabayon Linux.
The first is well-known: it's a good system, stable, with a great
community and good software support (you find packages for almost the
applications: you have to compile yourselfs only the most esotheric
pieces of code...). The second one is derived from Gentoo, with all that
concerne this... personally I dislike to have to wait a looooot of time
if I have to compile a big program. But it has a lot of interesting
features: it installs the 3D drivers and configure XGL/AiGLX by itself,
it has a lot of non-free software (like codecs, Flash player, Adobe
Reader, etc) that with other distros ususally you have to look for, it's
developed day by day.

--
Ciao.
Leo.

Web: www.leonardomiliani.com
E-mail: leonardo at ...1237...
Scegli software opensource - Choose opensource software