[Gambas-user] Problem Gettig Started

Gareth Bult gareth at ...1689...
Wed May 30 19:34:47 CEST 2007

Mmm,

All my machines (mostly) are 64-bit .. however I run them *all* in 32-bit mode .. there are just too many applications that are not 64-bit friendly .. Flash for example (!)  .. so Gambas isn't exactly alone re; it's lack of 64-bit support.

That said, you can of course run Gambas in a 32-bit chroot quite happily .. although it's not an ideal solution.
(and then there's vmware .. )

:)

Easy answer would be to re-install the x86 Ubuntu ...

Gareth

--
Gareth Bult, Encryptec Limited
Tel: 0845 25 77033, FWD: 753977, Mob: 07891 389657
Email: gareth at ...1689...
Statements made are at all times subject to Encryptec's Terms and Conditions of Business, which are available upon request.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob" <sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...>
To: gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:18:18 PM (GMT) Europe/London
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] Problem Gettig Started

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Neill Conroy wrote:
> get the following: sizeof(CLASS) = 256 !
> motherboard and an AMD 64X2 3200+ processor, with 2 GB of RAM.  I
> I am running Kubuntu 7.04 as the OS and I have a fairly busy

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're running a 64-bit version
of Kubuntu?

That sizeof(CLASS) error message you get is due to various data types
being a different size on 64-bit versions of Linux.  This means
Gambas is 32-bit only at present, and unfortunately, the changes to
the compiler and interpreter to make it 64-bit safe are major enough
that they won't happen until after the release of 2.0.  (Hopefully
JUST after, because I'm starting to think 64-bit machines will be in
the majority by the time that happens.)

Java has had problems like this too, but Sun has more than one guy
working on the internals of Java ;)

Rob