[Gambas-user] gb.ldap and other

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Jun 26 20:55:14 CEST 2007

On mardi 26 juin 2007, David Paleino wrote:
> Il giorno Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:03:54 +0200
>
> Benoit Minisini <gambas at ...1...> ha scritto:
> > On lundi 25 juin 2007, David Paleino wrote:
> > > First of all, I can't find any documentation about the gb.ldap
> > > component. Is it so unused? :-)
> >
> > Apparently...
>
> How should I proceed to document the component and auto-document
> myself? Apparently I should read the source code...
>
> > > Secondly, it might seem a silly problem, but I can't show the "&"
> > > character in Message boxes. I don't think it's that normal :-). I've
> > > also tried to escape it ("\&"), but it gives me an error ("Bad
> > > character constant in string"). Using PRINT it works, i.e. the "&"
> > > character shows up.
> >
> > Which GUI toolkit and Gambas version do you use?
>
> It's a GTK project, with Gambas 1.9.49.
>
> > Anyway, '&' indicates a shortcut. Maybe by writing it twice, you will
> > get it?
>
> I'm rather new to Gambas, I didn't know & was a shortcut _also_ in
> Message boxes. I thought it was only for menus.
>
> When I run my project, in console I have:
>
> gContainer() 135452672
> ldap_init is correct.
> (&(debbugsID=foo)(debbugsPackage=bar))
>
> The last line is a PRINT strLdapQuery.
> But Message.Info(strLdapQuery) shows:
>
> ( (debbugsID=foo)(debbugsPackage=bar))
>
> The "&" character wasn't "now shown", was "converted to a space".
> In fact, if I double it ("&&"), I get a double space in Message.Info():
>
> (  (debbugsID=foo)(debbugsPackage=bar))
>
> However I think that shortcuts in Message boxes are useless: they
> should be used only in menus. Am I wrong?
>
> > Regards,
>
> Have a nice day,
> David

The gb.gtk component was in early alpha version in 1.9.49. And I'm started to
work on it since the release, so I strongly suggest that you compile gambas
from the source repository, so that you always have the latest development
version.

Anyway, I didn't modify any code in the interpretation of message box text, so
it should be a bug. I will look at it.

As for the gb.ldap component, it seems that the author of the component wrote
some documentation about it in the wiki, but in italian (its native
language). I suggest you contact it directly to see if he will explain to you
how to use it in english. As I don't know LDAP and never used it at all, it
is a bit difficult for me.

If he agrees, please talk about the gb.ldap component on the mailing-list, so
that everything is archived.

Benoit Minisini