[Gambas-user] Quicky app

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Jun 25 18:36:50 CEST 2007

On lundi 25 juin 2007, Scott Castaline wrote:

> I'm basically in the same boat. My programming days goes back to the
> 70's and consisted of IBM 360/370 COBOL and 8080 Assembler as well as
> 6800 Assembler. All in school environments as part of my EET degree. I'm
> just looking for a simple approach to make life a little easier for my
> wife. She has an extremely large case load and spends many hours at it.
> Even though her gross income is fairly decent even for here in the ATL
> area, with all of the time and effort she probably truly makes only
> about $1.00/hr. gross. Since we don't know what the near future holds,
> to really spend the time or money for a more complex app doesn't make
> sense at this time. But if things work out I would probably want to be
> able to take whatever I threw together and make a real app out of it.

There is not report designer in Gambas yet, but generating OpenOffice
documents is easy, as OpenOffice are "just" compressed XML files.

Making an OpenOffice document from scratch is of course difficult, but if you
have an example of your report as an OpenOffice document, you can use it as a
template.

Put some markups inside, make a copy of the document, uncompress it, replace
these markups by the real data at runtime, and compress it back.

It becomes more difficult if you want to fill a table, for example. Maybe a
sort of OpenOffice component for Gambas would be useful then.

Benoit Minisini