[Gambas-user] Quicky app

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sun Jun 24 21:55:40 CEST 2007

On Sunday 24 June 2007, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Am I looking at the right thing in GAMBAS to accomplish what I need
> for the forms part and the reports? Does the IDE allow quick form
> design and then code generation, allowing future editing to
> increase capabilities of the forms and reports? Also, any

The report engine in Gambas is still very new, but the form editor is
very mature and does exactly what you're asking for.  If your wife's
business needs reports more than it needs data entry forms, I'd
suggest using something like OpenOffice (which will let you create
data entry forms and reports, but the forms are a lot clunkier than
Gambas and requires all of OpenOffice to be loaded) but if it's
mostly data entry, I'd suggest using Gambas 1.x which is stable.

> recommendations in the backend (the db engine) I'm thinking of
> using MySQL? Is that an overkill? I will be needing a server/client
> environment as 2 PCs will need access to the data at the same time.

MySQL is definitely not overkill if two PCs need access to the data at
the same time.  In fact, I think this would make using OpenOffice
that much clunkier.

> Also, another glitch, my wife's PC is M$ Win2K, while mine is Linux
> (FC6) and anything I create now maybe unusable within 5 to 6
> months, so it's got to be something thrown together that could
> possibly be refined at a later time, or replaced by a better made
> version.

Gambas' graphical and database components don't run under Windows, so
unless you're planning on using VNC or some other virtual desktop
program, you may be out of luck.  RealBASIC is available for both
Windows and Linux, but costs money.  I haven't had any experience
with it under Linux (haven't used it since back when it was just a
Mac program.)

Rob