[Gambas-user] Quicky app

Scott Castaline hscast at ...407...
Sun Jun 24 20:28:14 CEST 2007

I need to put together a quick app for my wife's business. Basically my
thinking is a relational db with possibly just 3 tables. The first would
be sort of like an address book containing some additional info. the
other 2 would be similar to items in an inventory database so there
would be many records that relate to one record in the main table.

I need a quick way to create the forms to allow data entry, editing of
exisitng records, as well as deleting records. Then I need to be able to
generate reports mostly in spreadsheet style formats. I am not a
programmer, but am a former computer hardware tech/eng. Although many
years ago I did do some programming in school for class projects, such
as COBAL, back in the early 70's. Then in the 80's I had written an app
in FoxBASE+.

Am I looking at the right thing in GAMBAS to accomplish what I need for
the forms part and the reports? Does the IDE allow quick form design and
then code generation, allowing future editing to increase capabilities
of the forms and reports? Also, any recommendations in the backend (the
db engine) I'm thinking of using MySQL? Is that an overkill? I will be
needing a server/client environment as 2 PCs will need access to the
data at the same time. Also, another glitch, my wife's PC is M$ Win2K,
while mine is Linux (FC6) and anything I create now maybe unusable
within 5 to 6 months, so it's got to be something thrown together that
could possibly be refined at a later time, or replaced by a better made
version.

TIA