[Gambas-user] FW: install Gambas2 in suse 10.2

Paul Horechuk horechuk at ...981...
Tue Jan 16 17:38:35 CET 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 10:06, Rob wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 January 2007 09:27, Jean-Yves F. Barbier wrote:
> > > configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> >
> > the log speaks by itself: you don't have any compiler
>
> I think the fact that this happened speaks for itself:
> non-technical users (and even technical ones that aren't
> familiar with development tools) shouldn't be expected to build
> their own software.

Sorry, but I have to de-lurk on this one. The fact that Javier is trying to
install a development branch of Gambas, indicates that he wants
to "develop" software. The "non-technical" user aspect goes out the door.
Ubuntu/Kubuntu has the 1.0 branch readily available as a package and he can
certainly develop with that. The fact that he chose to go with the
leading-edge branch means that he has to setup his development environment
properly. Whatever distro he uses is immaterial. They all lack some aspect
required for the full Gambas 2 structure, whether it is SDL or PDF or QT,
etc. I've seen Gambas 2 installed on RedHat/CentOS with the world
installed, still requiring additional packages that do not come with the
distro, and that is after a 5 CD install! How can Ubuntu with a single CD
hope to have everything? It would be a good thing, if there were a meta
package to add a development environment, but which language?

Benoit is quite correct with using the README to indicate where dependancies
lie. There could be further clarification as to versions and problems with
such things as poppler, but it actually is quite usefull. Perhaps a note
could be added at the top saying that a proper make environment should be
installed first, but this was definitely indicated by the results of the
make command. Javier just has to learn how to interpret the results of make
failures. It is a fact of Linux life. If you simply want to use the OS, as
a user, then everything is there, as it is in most distros. Going that
extra step to control your environment means building your tools.

> My time is starting to free back up, so I hope within a week or
> so I can get Mandriva 2007 on this laptop (sorry, Ubuntu
> advocates, but there are some ways in which Mandriva is just
> more polished

Polish also comes from people like you who recognize problems and can do
something to fix it.

> even if it doesn't have the user base... so I'm
> going back after 6 months of Ubuntu and Kubuntu use) and start
> building packages again.  Won't help this problem of Javier's,
> but at least he'll be all set on his other system.
>
> Rob

Paul Horechuk
      Think Free
Use Open Source Software