[Gambas-user] FW: install Gambas2 in suse 10.2

timothy timothy.marshal-nichols at ...247...
Wed Jan 17 10:54:02 CET 2007

Makefiles... no
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
> checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
> checking build system type... (cached) i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... (cached) i686-pc-linux-gnu
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> config.status: creating config.h
> config.status: config.h is unchanged
> configure: configuring in main
> configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr/local  '-C' --
> cache-file=                              ../config.cache --srcdir=.
> configure: loading cache ../config.cache
> checking for a BSD-compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
> checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
> checking build system type... (cached) i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
Makefiles... no
> checking host system type... (cached) i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> configure: error: /bin/sh './configur
>
> Regards
> Javier

Hello Javier,

I have recently upgraded my machine with a new install of SUSE 10.2 (I
previously used SUSE 10.1). And then compiled the development version of
Gambas. In fact I think it properly installed better than it did on
previous versions of SUSE.

The main thing is to get the Gambas dependencies installed before you
compile Gambas. It is best to install these through Yast using the
"Software Management" option.

1) Under the filter drop down list select "Installation Sources". Then
check you have http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/oss
as a URL. There are packages here that are required for some of the
Gambas components that are not on the install CD's. If you do not see
this then you will need to add or enable it in the main Yast control
panel option "Installation Source". On my system SUSE had added the URL
but it had not enabled it.

2) From the filter drop down list select "Patterns" then find the
"Development" section in the list. Now under "Basic Development" make
sure at least "gcc", "gcc-c++" and "make" are selected then install
these. You could also add packages from the KDE, GNOME and C/C++
sections.

3)  If you want to use MySQL then from the filter drop down list select
"Search" then do a search for mysql. Make sure at least "mysql",
"mysql-client", "mysql-devel" are selected then install these.

4)  If you want to use PostgreSQL then from the filter drop down list
select "Search" then do a search for postgres. Make sure at least
"postgresql", "postgresql-server", "postresql-devel" are selected then
install these.

5)  If you want to use SDL and openGL then from the filter drop down
list select "Search" then do a search for sdl. Make sure at least "SDL",
"SDL-devel", "SDL_image", "SDL_image-devel", "SDL_mixer",
"SDL_mixer-devel" are selected then install these. Now do a search for
opengl and select "Mesa" and install this.

6) Select the "Extras" option from the Yast "Software Management" menu
and then the option "Install All Matching -devel Packages" and install.
This will properly install more devel packages than you need. But why
not take the easy option.

You should now have the basic requirements for Gambas - or at least the
most popular options. Now try then compile-make-make install command
sequence with Gambas.

Thanks

8-{)} Timothy Marshal-Nichols
<mailto: timothy.marshal-nichols at ...247...>