[Gambas-user] Re; Domain names

Gareth Bult gareth at ...1689...
Thu Aug 23 00:53:57 CEST 2007

>I'd like to know if it is possible to create a new skin for the site

Yes

>that looks like http://gambas.sf.net

Yes

>and if I can force this style by specifying it the URL.

No, although this can be done.

However, skins are standard, you can (optionally) set your skin per user in the preferences.

>This way, I can integrate some pages of the new site into the current one transparently, as I did with some pages of http://gambasdoc.org.

Ok, I see what you're getting at. This far I was toying with the idea of running gambasdoc in an IFrame, but haven't quite gotten around to trying it.

I see you've set the site to full-width.
I won't say it looks "bad", but it certainly doesn't look as good and a number of visual effects are slightly broken, and some more you don't see very often will be broken when we come to them.

The layout was designed so people could design 'good' looking pages and have them look the same on most browsers .. with max width set, you can set up what looks like a good page, and it will be broken, overflowing or look silly on different screens depending in their resolution / window size. This makes it very difficult for contributers as every time they post something or update something, people *will* complain it doesn't look good on 'their' screen. (we currently run ~ 30 of these)

I can fix some of the brokenness if you want to leave it at this width, but you're going to make it harder for contributers than it needs to be. (Have you looked at the site on a 1600x1200 screen?)

What we could do it design a skin that's specifically aimed to be variable width, then let people who don't like the fixed width select the alternate skin in their profile ?

Gareth.

--
Managing Director, Encryptec Limited
Tel: 0845 25 77033, Mob: 07891 389657