[Gambas-user] Re; Domain names

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Aug 23 01:03:06 CEST 2007

On jeudi 23 août 2007, Gareth Bult wrote:
> >I'd like to know if it is possible to create a new skin for the site
>
> Yes
>
> >that looks like http://gambas.sf.net
>
> Yes
>
> >and if I can force this style by specifying it the URL.
>
> No, although this can be done.
>
> However, skins are standard, you can (optionally) set your skin per user in
> the preferences.
>
> >This way, I can integrate some pages of the new site into the current one
> > transparently, as I did with some pages of http://gambasdoc.org.
>
> Ok, I see what you're getting at. This far I was toying with the idea of
> running gambasdoc in an IFrame, but haven't quite gotten around to trying
> it.
>
> I see you've set the site to full-width.
> I won't say it looks "bad", but it certainly doesn't look as good and a
> number of visual effects are slightly broken, and some more you don't see
> very often will be broken when we come to them.
>
> The layout was designed so people could design 'good' looking pages and
> have them look the same on most browsers .. with max width set, you can set
> up what looks like a good page, and it will be broken, overflowing or look
> silly on different screens depending in their resolution / window size.
> This makes it very difficult for contributers as every time they post
> something or update something, people *will* complain it doesn't look good
> on 'their' screen. (we currently run ~ 30 of these)
>
> I can fix some of the brokenness if you want to leave it at this width, but
> you're going to make it harder for contributers than it needs to be. (Have
> you looked at the site on a 1600x1200 screen?)
>
> What we could do it design a skin that's specifically aimed to be variable
> width, then let people who don't like the fixed width select the alternate
> skin in their profile ?
>
> Gareth.
>
> --
> Managing Director, Encryptec Limited
> Tel: 0845 25 77033, Mob: 07891 389657
> Email: gareth at ...1689...
> Statements made are at all times subject to Encryptec's Terms and
> Conditions of Business, which are available upon request.

As I don't know how to make specific skins, I just modified the custom
directory. But of course the better should be making specific skins.

As for the screen width, I think CSS allows to specify a maximum width. I just
found the default width too small.

Is it possible to force a skin in the URL, as I did with gambasdoc.org? This
way, I could embed gambas.encryptec.net in gambas.sourceforge.net easily,
without having to globally change the plone look.

--
Benoit Minisini