[Gambas-user] Re; Component writing ...

Gareth Bult gareth at ...1689...
Mon Aug 20 02:15:18 CEST 2007

Mmm,

One of the strengths of Delphi was that third parties could make free or commercial components, distribute them as source code and end users could compile the package which would add it to the local component library. This led to LOTS of third party developers getting involved and took the strain of Borland having to produce all the code themselves.

I guess the first thing I should do is to make the GridEditor work inside the IDE, then send you some code.
Is there a howto or something documenting the "proper" way to add stuff to the IDE tree as a component?

Gareth.
--
Managing Director, Encryptec Limited
Tel: 0845 25 77033, Mob: 07891 389657
Email: gareth at ...1689...
Statements made are at all times subject to Encryptec's Terms and Conditions of Business, which are available upon request.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benoit Minisini" <gambas at ...1...>
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:09:15 PM (GMT) Europe/London
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] Re; Component writing ...

On dimanche 19 août 2007, Gareth Bult wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still keen to make my GridEditor component work "better" (or
> "properly") inside the Gambas IDE. (as the DB components used to work in
> Delphi/Kylix)
>
> Is there any movement on features that might help me do this?
>
> In particular I want to be able to control the property editor and
> rendering for components written in Gambas ...

Such a feature won't be done before the 2.0 release.

> ..
>
> A couple of things I've noticed in general;
>
> I can't trace into a component if it crashes, this makes "using" the
> component quite hard sometimes as it's impossible to debug once in use.

To debug a component, I usually run its project inside the IDE. I create a
Main startup module or a FMain startup form for this purpose. Look in the
gb.db.form component sources to see what I mean.

> don't seem able to add an icon to the component for use in the IDE palette
> (?)

Alas all icons are located inside the IDE source code at the moment.

> If I have one IDE loaded to edit the component, and another open to
> test it, I need to reload the entire IDE to have it reload the component..

Just debug your component as explained above.

> I think Gambas is missing out a little in terms of components that people
> have written that can't be turned into deployable components because the
> component framework doesn't seem to be able to handle components written in
> Gambas all that well .. I have lots I could contribute ... (shot of live
> webcam "component" in Gtk, also works in Qt)
>
> Gareth.

Gambas components are like drivers for the Linux kernel. I want them to be in
the main source repository. Components outside of the main repository are a
nightmare to manage, as modifying the interpreter API will break them without
notice.

If you have made a useful component, just send it me for integration. But I
will check first that the component is really useful, that it does not
duplicate an already existing component behaviour, and that its interface is
not too weird. :-)

Benoit Minisini