[Gambas-user] Re; Component writing ...

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Aug 19 20:09:15 CEST 2007

On dimanche 19 août 2007, Gareth Bult wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still keen to make my GridEditor component work "better" (or
> "properly") inside the Gambas IDE. (as the DB components used to work in
> Delphi/Kylix)
>
> Is there any movement on features that might help me do this?
>
> In particular I want to be able to control the property editor and
> rendering for components written in Gambas ...

Such a feature won't be done before the 2.0 release.

> ..
>
> A couple of things I've noticed in general;
>
> I can't trace into a component if it crashes, this makes "using" the
> component quite hard sometimes as it's impossible to debug once in use.

To debug a component, I usually run its project inside the IDE. I create a
Main startup module or a FMain startup form for this purpose. Look in the
gb.db.form component sources to see what I mean.

> don't seem able to add an icon to the component for use in the IDE palette
> (?)

Alas all icons are located inside the IDE source code at the moment.

> If I have one IDE loaded to edit the component, and another open to
> test it, I need to reload the entire IDE to have it reload the component..

Just debug your component as explained above.

> I think Gambas is missing out a little in terms of components that people
> have written that can't be turned into deployable components because the
> component framework doesn't seem to be able to handle components written in
> Gambas all that well .. I have lots I could contribute ... (shot of live
> webcam "component" in Gtk, also works in Qt)
>
> Gareth.

Gambas components are like drivers for the Linux kernel. I want them to be in
the main source repository. Components outside of the main repository are a
nightmare to manage, as modifying the interpreter API will break them without
notice.

If you have made a useful component, just send it me for integration. But I
will check first that the component is really useful, that it does not
duplicate an already existing component behaviour, and that its interface is
not too weird. :-)

Benoit Minisini