[Gambas-user] Re; Component writing ...

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Aug 20 02:26:32 CEST 2007

On lundi 20 août 2007, Gareth Bult wrote:
> Mmm,
>
> One of the strengths of Delphi was that third parties could make free or
> commercial components, distribute them as source code and end users could
> compile the package which would add it to the local component library. This
> led to LOTS of third party developers getting involved and took the strain
> of Borland having to produce all the code themselves.
>
> I guess the first thing I should do is to make the GridEditor work inside
> the IDE, then send you some code. Is there a howto or something documenting
> the "proper" way to add stuff to the IDE tree as a component?
>
> Gareth.
> --
> Managing Director, Encryptec Limited
> Tel: 0845 25 77033, Mob: 07891 389657
> Email: gareth at ...1689...
> Statements made are at all times subject to Encryptec's Terms and
> Conditions of Business, which are available upon request.

There is nothing to add to the "IDE tree" except the icons of your controls,
and the description of the new component.

To add a component written in Gambas to the Gambas source code, just send me
the project so that I can check it.

As for Delphi, you may be right, but as I never used it, maybe I don't see
what is exactly missing to Gambas in that point.

As for the notion of "local component library", if you have the component
source code, you can compile and install it to your local component directory
(~/.local/lib/gambas2 and ~/.local/share/gambas2) with the IDE, by using the
last check box of the "Make executable" dialog. Then you can use the
component exactly like the standard ones. The only problem at the moment is
that you must keep the initial project, as only symbolic links are created.

Benoit Minisini