[Gambas-user] Introduction + Problems with Qt

David Paleino d.paleino at ...626...
Sat Sep 16 22:31:11 CEST 2006

Benoit Minisini wrote:
> On Saturday 16 September 2006 21:42, Rob wrote:
>> On Saturday 16 September 2006 15:03, David Paleino wrote:

>> The goal is to eventually have the IDE (and as many other Gambas
>> programs as possible) working under both Gtk and Qt.  More work
>> needs to be done on the Gtk component and on standardizing the
>> two components before that will work, but it will happen.

I hope so. That would be a great boost in gambas' diffusion.

>>> I also noted that other KDE apps (like KView, Kuickshow,
>>> KFileReplace and others) look very good on my GNOME... Is that
>>> a Gambas2 problem? I hope not. Maybe I miss some library?! O_o
>> No, the reason is that Qt apps like the Gambas IDE are not the
>> same as KDE apps.  KDE apps link to the KDE libraries, which sit
>> on top of the Qt libraries and provide a lot of additional look
>> and feel stuff.  I'm not sure why the Gambas font is so big in
>> your case, though.

Understood.

>> Rob

Thanks for your reply Rob!

> I noticed this problem with Ubuntu. I think the QT library is not correctly
> configured, and so the default font is too big.
>
> Noramlly, you must have a programmed named 'qtconfig' provided with qt
> library. Try to find it on your system, or inside one of the qt packages, and
> run it. You will be able to set the default QT font and theme.

Yes, I've found two such programs, for qt3 and qt4 (the Debian packages
are qt3-config and qt4-config, respectively).
I've discovered that the problem is in qt3: the config program appeared
as big as the gambas IDE. I've adjusted the font, I can see my dialog's
borders, but the style is still ugly. Isn't there a way to fix that?

And, as concerns the theme, I've found that the qt3 theme was set to
"Motif"... maybe that's why the dialog had that style. But I've also
found that qt4 has the "plastik" style... Is there any way to have that
style in qt3? I'm just googling for it.

> Regards,

Cheers,
David