[Gambas-user] Problem compiling 1.9.28 on Suse10.0

rudy emil97 at ...1424...
Mon May 8 12:43:33 CEST 2006

On Saturday 06 May 2006 06:09, ron wrote:
> On Saturday 06 May 2006 00:20, rudy wrote:
> > I tried compiling  Gambas 1.9.28 on Suse 10.0
> >
> > After extracting the source file, I did ./configure (without any options)
> > During the process, there was following message :
> >  ------------------
> > checking for MySQL driver headers... no
> > checking for MySQL driver libraries... no
> > -------------------
> > At the end of configure process I have following message:

> > THESE COMPONENTS ARE DISABLED:
> >
> > - gb.corba
> > - gb.db.firebird
> > - gb.db.mysql
> > - gb.db.odbc
> > - gb.db.postgresql
> > - gb.db.sqlite
> > - gb.db.sqlite2
> > - gb.gtk
> > - gb.ldap
> > - gb.net.smtp
> > - gb.pcre
> > - gb.pdfchecking for MySQL driver headers... no
> > checking for MySQL driver libraries... no
> > - gb.qt.kde
> > - gb.sdl
> > - gb.v4l
> > - gb.xml

> > Why above components are disabled ? (Default is enabled, right ?).
> >
> > While I don't have the lib for some of the components (e.g  ldap and
> > postgresql), I have mysql installed and libmysql  in /usr/lib. In fact,
> > on the same machine,  I have Gambas 1.9.17 which come with Suse 10.0 and
> > gb.db component for mysql was installed by default (other components like
> > gb.qt.kde and gb.sdl were installed too).
> >
> > For comparison, I tried to install 1.9.28 on Fedora Core 4. On FC4, the
> > same ./configure (without any options) has gb.db for mysql installed
> > (other components with its lib installed were enabled too). On Suse 10.0,
> > why those components are disabled / not installed ?
> >
> > Please help,
> > thanks,
> > Rudy
>
> You need 2 things for compile gambas at home
> 1) the libraries and 2) the library-devel package
> i.e.  libmysql.rpm and libmysql-devel.rpm
>
> The SuSE RPM you did use where the precompiled version.
> You need then only the library.rpm and do not need the library-devel.rpm
> Usage of the 'library-devel.rpm' is only at the box whitch is compiling (at
> SuSE done).
>
> The message 'MySQL driver libraries... no' tell you the mysql.rpm is not
> there. The message 'MySQL driver headers... no' tells you the
> mysql-devel.rpm is not there. (or at wrong place)
>
> It does not matter SuSE or FC4 for compare, it depends on what is installed
> on that box. If on FC4 Apache/MySQL/PHP is intalled then the -devel packs
> are also installed. (just seen yesterday with fresh FC4 install on box at
> work a lot of them)
>
> > On Suse 10.0, why those components are disabled / not installed ?
>
> SuSE does not automatic install those -devel packs for a normal desktop
> install. You have to ask them why not, but consider next.

> [...]
Thanks, I got your points. I have libmsqlclient.so installed, but I cannot
locate where is mysql-devel in Suse 10.0 (I looked in yast package manager
and tried to locate the file on each CDs, but there is no mysql-devel --> am
I missing something here ?).

However, I have downloaded version of  mysql-devel  rpm package and have it
installed. Now ./configure has gb.db.mysql installed.

But now I have another problem: when I tried to run program made by 1.9.17 in
1.9.28, the following error message appear:

"Cannot load module xxxx: version too old, please recompile"

what's wrong ?

Thanks,
Rudy