[Gambas-user] Problem compiling 1.9.28 on Suse10.0

ron ronstk at ...239...
Sat May 6 01:09:15 CEST 2006

On Saturday 06 May 2006 00:20, rudy wrote:
> I tried compiling  Gambas 1.9.28 on Suse 10.0
>
> After extracting the source file, I did ./configure (without any options)
> During the process, there was following message :
>  ------------------
> checking for MySQL driver headers... no
> checking for MySQL driver libraries... no
> -------------------
> At the end of configure process I have following message:

> THESE COMPONENTS ARE DISABLED:
>
> - gb.corba
> - gb.db.firebird
> - gb.db.mysql
> - gb.db.odbc
> - gb.db.postgresql
> - gb.db.sqlite
> - gb.db.sqlite2
> - gb.gtk
> - gb.ldap
> - gb.net.smtp
> - gb.pcre
> - gb.pdfchecking for MySQL driver headers... no
> checking for MySQL driver libraries... no
> - gb.qt.kde
> - gb.sdl
> - gb.v4l
> - gb.xml

> Why above components are disabled ? (Default is enabled, right ?).
>
> While I don't have the lib for some of the components (e.g  ldap and
> postgresql), I have mysql installed and libmysql  in /usr/lib. In fact,
> on the same machine,  I have Gambas 1.9.17 which come with Suse 10.0 and
> gb.db component for mysql was installed by default (other components like
> gb.qt.kde and gb.sdl were installed too).
>
> For comparison, I tried to install 1.9.28 on Fedora Core 4. On FC4, the
> same ./configure (without any options) has gb.db for mysql installed (other
> components with its lib installed were enabled too). On Suse 10.0, why those
> components are disabled / not installed ?
>
> Please help,
> thanks,
> Rudy

You need 2 things for compile gambas at home
1) the libraries and 2) the library-devel package
i.e.  libmysql.rpm and libmysql-devel.rpm

The SuSE RPM you did use where the precompiled version.
You need then only the library.rpm and do not need the library-devel.rpm
Usage of the 'library-devel.rpm' is only at the box whitch is compiling (at SuSE done).

The message 'MySQL driver libraries... no' tell you the mysql.rpm is not there.
The message 'MySQL driver headers... no' tells you the  mysql-devel.rpm is not there.
 (or at wrong place)

It does not matter SuSE or FC4 for compare, it depends on what is installed on that box.
If on FC4 Apache/MySQL/PHP is intalled then the -devel packs are also installed.
(just seen yesterday with fresh FC4 install on box at work a lot of them)

> On Suse 10.0, why those components are disabled / not installed ?

SuSE does not automatic install those -devel packs for a normal desktop install.
You have to ask them why not, but consider next.

Installing Windows does never has those packs because the users
do no compile, they do there work (if it works :) anyway) with it.

Installing   SuSE  does never has those packs because the users
do no compile, they do there work (and it works :) anyway) with it.

Ron