[Gambas-user] windows and gambas

Christopher Brian Jack brian at ...1334...
Sat Mar 18 10:01:00 CET 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Bertrand-Xavier M. wrote:

> But this won't happen by magic. We should union our efforts towards this goal,
> build a binary for windows.

I wish I had a Windows machine to help with this effort.  My thoughts on
this subject are that a windows build of Gambas completely scraps Qt as a
base and instead uses a gb.form.gdi that uses windows-native controls to
provide Gambas's standard form controls (they are there so why make the
user install a bunch of extra stuff just to get Gambas going especially
when Qt is designed for X and not for Windows GDI) and any additional
Windows controls (perhaps including the numerous OCX controls found in
Windows 98+/ME/XP) can be handled with a gb.form.gdi.ext just as has been
done to handle Qt extras not in Gambas' basic form controls.  SDL isn't a
bad idea (since it can be built natively in VC++ as a native binary
Windows DLL without cygwin's expensive [in terms of memory and
performance] emulation layer) so the gb.sdl.xxx components can stay.  If
really desired the Qt based forms could be set up as an optional form base
as has been done for Gtk.

|  Christopher BRIAN Jack aka "Gau of the Veldt"  |