[Gambas-user] Online help

rolf rolf.frogs at ...221...
Mon Jul 3 15:43:00 CEST 2006

Hi  Rob

> > I would like to build for a larger programm system a kontext
> > sensitiv help, perhaps with a help button.
> > How can I realize this with one (html) file?
>
> I see two ways to do it, if you want to limit it to one file....
>
> 1. Put all the help in one file, and set up anchors for each
> keyword corresponding to a particular context:
>
> <a name="OptionsDialog"></a>
>
> And then when you bring up your help browser, specify
> #OptionsDialog at the end of the URL you use to display the help
> file.  The other way is....
This does not work, because HELPFILE#OptionsDialog will be interpreted as a
filename at all. Usually a browser may split the achor part correctly, if the
shell passes the complete name to the browser.

> 2. Put all the help in one file, and insert comments indicating
> the start and end of each context.
>
> <!-- BEGIN OptionsDialog -->
> <h2>Options Dialog</h2>
> This is the dialog where you set the options.
> <!-- END OptionsDialog -->
>
> And then, in the help browser you write, you can iterate through
> the HTML file a line at a time, and display only those lines
> between the BEGIN and END comments for your desired context.

This implies, that I have to write a program by my self (which also has to
deal with links inside the document.
I hoped that some of the html elements of gambas can do the things I was
looking for.

Many thanks for your suggestions
rolf