[Gambas-user] Error compiling 1.9.24

johnf jfabiani at ...1109...
Wed Feb 8 16:47:32 CET 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 23:36, Eilert wrote:
> johnf schrieb:

> >>Hi Rob and all others,
> >>
> >>ok ok, it's Suse 9.1, and yes, pcre-devel is installed, the version is
> >>4.4-109.4
> >>
> >>Well, it says, the installed version is 4.4-109.4 and the version
> >>available is 4.4-109, so I guess the installed version is a fix or
> >> patch...
> >>
> >>Does this tell you something?
> >>
> >>You really want me to quote the whole output of the configure script
> >> here?
> >>
> >>Rolf
> >
> >I realize there are others that will help you to compile but I think you
> >should really consider upgrading your version of SUSE.  SUSE 10.0 is free
> >(OpenSUSE) and for the most part it is very easy to upgrade. If you don't
> > I would expect that you will have security issues and development issues
> > for the future.
> >
> >John
>
> Well, I would very much like to upgrade to 10.0, believe me :-)
>
> The point is: This whole thing is running on our server which serves all
> the students as well (see www.ltsp.org). If I just "upgrade" to 10.0, I
> would have to restore all the little scripts and gimmiks I have applied
> over the last 2 years or so to make it running smoothly and it would
> certainly destroy all the users' (about 120) settings and so on... So
> this server as it runs here is "mission critical" to everyone else in
> the house. It's not as easy as if it was a single machine standing in my
> office (and even then: On the old PC which is still in use here, there
> is a 7.3 running, just because it's running and doing a fine job the way
> it is, you know). The only way I could imagine to upgrade the system
> without too much headache for everyone would be to include another set
> of harddisks into the server and setup a completely running and tweaked
> new system there, then copying all personal users' files over there and
> start and pray... :-)
>
> I've been trying to compile the 1.9.x series for a couple of times now,
> and usually it wanted to have some database installed. I did not see the
> point in having a database just to be able to compile an IDE, so I was
> living fine with 1.0.x, did a lot of programming with it and still am.
> This pcre thing was new, however, and I thought the configure script was
> smarter now and  it might be possible to compile the new version with a
> little tweaking, that's why I asked.
>
> Rolf

If isn't broken don't fix it.  I believe in that phase completely.  I do want
to say I upgraded a 9.2 with lots of users and was very successful.  I did
not lose any users or user info.  However, for some reason I did have trouble
with the DHCP settings.  Other than that I can't recall doing anything.  Of
course the system was completely up todate from Yast and nothing but stuff
from yast installs.  I think the last thing is important.  Yast upgrades
understand only Yast installed software.

John