[Gambas-user] Error compiling 1.9.24

Eilert eilert-sprachen at ...221...
Wed Feb 8 08:36:35 CET 2006

johnf schrieb:

>On Monday 06 February 2006 23:30, Eilert wrote:
>

>>Rob Kudla schrieb:

>>>Sure looks like you don't have the PCRE development files
>>>installed (probably a package called "pcre-devel" or something
>>>similar) or it's too old a version, or maybe even too new a
>>>version.  Without seeing what version and distro you're using
>>>and the output of your configure script I have no way to be
>>>sure.
>>>
>>>Rob
>>>

>>Hi Rob and all others,
>>
>>ok ok, it's Suse 9.1, and yes, pcre-devel is installed, the version is
>>4.4-109.4
>>
>>Well, it says, the installed version is 4.4-109.4 and the version
>>available is 4.4-109, so I guess the installed version is a fix or patch...
>>
>>Does this tell you something?
>>
>>You really want me to quote the whole output of the configure script here?
>>
>>Rolf
>>

>I realize there are others that will help you to compile but I think you
>should really consider upgrading your version of SUSE.  SUSE 10.0 is free
>(OpenSUSE) and for the most part it is very easy to upgrade. If you don't I
>would expect that you will have security issues and development issues for
>the future.
>
>John

Well, I would very much like to upgrade to 10.0, believe me :-)

The point is: This whole thing is running on our server which serves all
the students as well (see www.ltsp.org). If I just "upgrade" to 10.0, I
would have to restore all the little scripts and gimmiks I have applied
over the last 2 years or so to make it running smoothly and it would
certainly destroy all the users' (about 120) settings and so on... So
this server as it runs here is "mission critical" to everyone else in
the house. It's not as easy as if it was a single machine standing in my
office (and even then: On the old PC which is still in use here, there
is a 7.3 running, just because it's running and doing a fine job the way
it is, you know). The only way I could imagine to upgrade the system
without too much headache for everyone would be to include another set
of harddisks into the server and setup a completely running and tweaked
new system there, then copying all personal users' files over there and
start and pray... :-)

I've been trying to compile the 1.9.x series for a couple of times now,
and usually it wanted to have some database installed. I did not see the
point in having a database just to be able to compile an IDE, so I was
living fine with 1.0.x, did a lot of programming with it and still am.
This pcre thing was new, however, and I thought the configure script was
smarter now and  it might be possible to compile the new version with a
little tweaking, that's why I asked.

Rolf