[Gambas-user] Re: Gambas 1.9.24 package for Ubuntu 5.10 (Benoit Minisini)

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Feb 8 09:21:15 CET 2006

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 09:13, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> El lun, 06-02-2006 a las 20:07 -0800, Benoit Minisini
>
> <gambas at ...1...> escribió:
> > On Monday 06 February 2006 22:45, john hedge wrote:
> > > My experience with installing Gambas hasn't been very good.
> > >
> > > The web site states that various packages are required but doesn't name
> > > the files specific to that requirement.
> > >
> > > If you use the Ubuntu sources.list you only get the stable version of
> > > Gambas.
> > >
> > > If you download the .deb supplied through the web site it doesn't load
> > > due to one of the dependencies being renamed. Ditto the sources.list
> > > from the Gambas web site.
> > >
> > > This .deb installed without fuss and has given me a working Gambas (and
> > > it shows in the menu without having to edit the .desktop). The fact
> > > that there are bits installed that I wont use just puts it in the same
> > > category as every other piece of software on my PC.
> > >
> > > I'm a very happy camper.
> >
> > Everything is explained in the... README file, in the source package. If
> > something is missing, or unclear, in this file, tell me. I will fix it.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Don't waste your time. I have received a lot of messages complaining for
> debian gambas packages in Ubuntu, but no one for people who use real
> Debian based distribution. The reason is very clear:
> Ubuntu is not a Debian based distribution, it's a Debian fork, They use
> very unstable libraries, and different names for some of the system core
> packages, so a lot of Debian packages are not compatible with ubuntu.
> Even worst, they upload to their repositories older versions of the
> packages I uploaded to Debian, so they are never updated.
>
> The solution is very easy: somebody using ubuntu should get the sources
> I upload to Debian, and doing this:
> dpkg-source -x gambas-xxx.dsc
> cd gambas-xxx
> dpkg-buildpackage
> will get deb packages with ubuntu right dependencies.
> Then they can be uploaded to somewhere to be used by Ubuntu users.
>
> Regards.

OK, I understand now!

Maybe Ubuntu had good reasons for not using the same package name even if I
don't see them...

If an Ubuntu user succeeds in creating gambas package from the debian gambas
source package, please tell, and I will update the distro web site page.

Benoit Minisini