[Gambas-user] Re: Gambas 1.9.24 package for Ubuntu 5.10 (Benoit Minisini)

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at ...96...
Wed Feb 8 09:13:07 CET 2006

El lun, 06-02-2006 a las 20:07 -0800, Benoit Minisini
<gambas at ...1...> escribió:

> On Monday 06 February 2006 22:45, john hedge wrote:
> > My experience with installing Gambas hasn't been very good.
> >
> > The web site states that various packages are required but doesn't name the
> > files specific to that requirement.
> >
> > If you use the Ubuntu sources.list you only get the stable version of
> > Gambas.
> >
> > If you download the .deb supplied through the web site it doesn't load due
> > to one of the dependencies being renamed. Ditto the sources.list from the
> > Gambas web site.
> >
> > This .deb installed without fuss and has given me a working Gambas (and it
> > shows in the menu without having to edit the .desktop). The fact that there
> > are bits installed that I wont use just puts it in the same category as
> > every other piece of software on my PC.
> >
> > I'm a very happy camper.
> >

> Everything is explained in the... README file, in the source package. If
> something is missing, or unclear, in this file, tell me. I will fix it.
>
> Regards,

Don't waste your time. I have received a lot of messages complaining for
debian gambas packages in Ubuntu, but no one for people who use real
Debian based distribution. The reason is very clear:
Ubuntu is not a Debian based distribution, it's a Debian fork, They use
very unstable libraries, and different names for some of the system core
packages, so a lot of Debian packages are not compatible with ubuntu.
Even worst, they upload to their repositories older versions of the
packages I uploaded to Debian, so they are never updated.

The solution is very easy: somebody using ubuntu should get the sources
I upload to Debian, and doing this:
dpkg-source -x gambas-xxx.dsc
cd gambas-xxx
dpkg-buildpackage
will get deb packages with ubuntu right dependencies.
Then they can be uploaded to somewhere to be used by Ubuntu users.

Regards.