[Gambas-user] GTK component in 1.9.29

Daniel Campos dcamposf at ...626...
Thu Apr 27 09:36:10 CEST 2006

Hi Ron:

No, of course I do not think your messages are an offence, I was just
explaining my point of view, so do not worry about that :-))

The reason to not use conditional compilation is that It would provide
versions of gb.gtk with unimplemented features, some of them for GTK+-2.6 ,
some of them for GTK+-2.4 and if I'd I start to use a possible GTK+-2.10,
there would be unimplemented functions for GTK+-2.8 too.

So, in that scenario, When I release an stable version there would be
hundred of reports from people telling about things that do not work  in
their systems, and of course hundreds  of replies telling that this feature
does not work in that version, or that other feature does not work in other
version,etc: a lot of improductive work, at the end.

That way, I limit the conditional compilation to what I can assume it is
impossible to unify at 100%: a X11 version, compatibility with DirectFB and
a possible Windows version.

A different thing would be having another programmer providing patches
that make these features to work with a previous versions of GTK+. Then I
wouldn't doubt in adding the needed macros to include the fixes... but just
adding stubs is not the way.

Daniel