[Gambas-user] GTK component in 1.9.29

ron ronstk at ...239...
Thu Apr 27 09:16:41 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 08:38, Daniel Campos wrote:
> Hi Ron:
>
> I understand you, but both GTK+ and Curl components are alpha/beta
> components and won't be stable until Gambas2 is released, specially GTK+
> component which is a big work.
>
> If we had here a big team working on these projects, (and lots of money to
> pay them :-) it would be possible to make the code necessary to replace the
> lacks of the previous versions of GTK+ and test the component with various
> versions regullary , but  it is not the case at this moment.  So I work in
> order  to make possible to work with the gb.gtk component in a gnuLinex
> 2004/2006 system (Debian Sarge compatible, if Debian users upgrade to the
> gnuLinex repositories).
>
> The curl thing was a bit different: I had to change several times the
> libcurl version because the "multi" interface, needed to make a coherent
> Gambas interface, was quite buggy and unstable in the previous versions, and
> I didn't think it was useful for anybody to provide support for a version
> that surely would crash the program.
>
> If other vendors like SUSE or RedHat, or any person trying to provide
> support for these distributions, want to provide support to that components
> using prior versions they're free to send patches to me or Benoit for these
> components, specially now that the gb.gtk component is placed in a CVS, but
> I can not do all that work personally.
>
> Daniel

Good morning Daniel,

Thanks for your info.
For the GTK+ I do understand it is a big work and on behalf of the
users that are using it I say many thanks for making it for gambas.

That you can not test it with various versions I do understand
the problem you have to do it.
My idea was/is to use a compile time flag to include new version specific
code or replace old version code with new code.

You are clever enough to think about such thing already but will have
your reason not to do and I should respect that.

For the curl problem I had the bad guy was SuSE to make yast to dependent
on the curl version the way they did. They should have it static inside yast.
I was not the only one with that problem I found in time.

Please do not see my message as offence but constructive remarks.
And sure we can not stay for ever at the old versions.

Ron