[Gambas-user] gambas will not run

ron ronstk at ...239...
Mon Apr 17 15:10:34 CEST 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 05:21, Eldon Eller wrote:
> I recently upgraded from suse 9.2 to 10.0. Now, neither gambas nor my
> gambas applications will run. I see two possibilities, there may be others.
>
> 1. I occasionally get a alert saying, "Could not find mime type
> application/octet-stream. (not upon trying to open gambas, however). I
> can add a mime type octet-stream, but I do not know what application to
> apply.
>
> 2. Maybe the file that lists the locations to be searched for gambas
> does not have the right location, but I forget the name of that file and
> how to find it.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. EEE

I have renamed both octet-stream and the .flv is gone.
however every octet-stream can be played with 'kmplayer' i.e.
i found a link to a library libpcre.so.0 (not valid anymore)
File type says 'Flash Video'
can be played with? kmplayer :)

Select the application in your place
Use Edit and go to tab Application
Search in the mime type list the entry application/octed-stream
See for Description 'Unknown' (after the rename of the desktop files is done)
Now you should be safe to delete that entry to prevent your assigned
application on the RMB (RightMouseButton) menu.
In the File associations remove the app by application/octed-stream
In a terminal/konsole run 'kbuildsycoca' (optional, to refresh everything)

Start a new konqueror and look at the *.flv (my case) and see the file again as
'Unknown' is back.
After this done the .gambas, to play with 'kmplayer' is again 'Unknown'

If this problem started may be after you made a entry for gambas, copy one as
example to you desktop.
Edit apropiate and rename to gambas.desktop
place it in the '/home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/application'
and/or in the '<kdehome>/share/mimelnk/application' (as root) folder.

I did the next now for test and to have it to.

In the File associations, add new type.
say 'application/x-gambas2'
add Filename pattern '*.gambas'
enter description 'Gambas exe'

Add application and type 'gbr2' or '/usr/bin/gbr2' in the textbox.
press OK

Verify now with the Edit button at tab 'Application'
Command is gbr2 and use the Advanced options, set 'Run in Terminal' on

Try out on a *.gambas file
The terminal  stays open for duration of the gambas app works :)

If all works OK then 'run in terminal' can switched off.

Take a look in '/home/ron/.kde/share/mimelnk/application'
Find the file 'x-gambas2.desktop' with content:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Gambas executable
Hidden=false
Icon=
MimeType=application/x-gambas2
Patterns=*.gambas
Type=MimeType

goto '/home/ron/.kde/share/applnk/.hidden'
Find file 'gbr2.desktop' with content:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=
Comment[en_US]=
Exec=gbr2
GenericName=
GenericName[en_US]=
Icon=
InitialPreference=2
MimeType=application/x-gambas2
Name=gbr2
Name[en_US]=gbr2
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DCOP-ServiceType=none
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

These both files are now new on my box and it works.
SuSE 9.2, KDE 3.5.0 (a) SuSE version

If you add these as files direct you must run kbuildsycoca !!!

Have fun

----
Ron