[Gambas-user] Maybe a weird question

Michael Isaac m_isaac at ...689...
Wed Jun 29 04:22:03 CEST 2005

Daniel Campos wrote:

> The fake problem of the interpreter availability
>
> Often, some people says: Hey, Gambas programs should be compiled, if not,
> we need the interpreter installed in the machine! We can not
> distribute it!
>
> Let me tell you just one thing:
>
> 1) can you run any KDE program without all its dependencies installed?
> 2) Can you do it with a Gnome program?
> 3) May be just a QT or GTK program?
> 6) Any graphical program without all X libraries?
> 4) Can you use Mplayer without a lot of libraries for codecs?
> 5) Can you install a Apache to serve CGI applications without Perl or
> Python (or Gambas)?
> 6) Can you run any perl, python or bash program without their
> interpreters?
>

> Where's then the problem? The problem is that Gambas gbx is a program
> and not a library? It is
> strange.
>
> Currenly almost all programs doing anything interesting have
> dependencies, and this is not
> a problem as Linux distributions install these dependencies, or you
> can download them from
> internet.
>
> The only real problem I can see is that Gambas is recent software and
> not all the distributions
> include that runtime. This is not a problem, for example for
> Linex/Ubuntu/Debian users as
> they have official packages for Gambas at linex.org. But if the
> program were compiled, you'd
> have the same problem: you'd need the libgambas.so and all the rest of
> libraries installed
> (recent version of QT/GTK, may be SDL, may be libxml, may be libcurl
> and of course glibc)
>
> And as Rob says, there would be not a big difference in performance,
> as the major part of the
> work is done internally in the gbx program or in the linked libraries,
> written in C or C++.
>
> Regards,
>
> D. Campos

I have to say that I agree with Maurizio.  KDE and Gnome are standard on
almost every Linux distribution. Most people dont have to go search for
Gnome or KDE.  To make matters worse Gambas is in a state of constant
development and it will be years before it becomes anyting close to that
kind of standard.  Since the Gambas software is constantly under
development the runtime that the user is forced to seek out and download
may not work with Maurizio's application.  It would be much more
convient if the runtime libraries specific to his software were easily
bundled or statically linked with the application.  This way the only
thing that a developer has to worry about is weather his target user is
using KDE or Gnome and the rest will fall into place.

It may be a very windows like approach but thats because Gambas is by no
means stable or a standard and it cannot be compared to the likes of
Python or Perl in that reguard.

--
Michael