[Gambas-user] Maybe a weird question

Arkadiusz Zychewicz oczykota at ...988...
Tue Jun 28 11:01:06 CEST 2005

Daniel Campos napisał(a):
> The fake problem of the interpreter availability
>
> Often, some people says: Hey, Gambas programs should be compiled, if not,
> we need the interpreter installed in the machine! We can not distribute it!
>
> Let me tell you just one thing:
>
> 1) can you run any KDE program without all its dependencies installed?
> 2) Can you do it with a Gnome program?
> 3) May be just a QT or GTK program?
> 6) Any graphical program without all X libraries?
> 4) Can you use Mplayer without a lot of libraries for codecs?
> 5) Can you install a Apache to serve CGI applications without Perl or
> Python (or Gambas)?
> 6) Can you run any perl, python or bash program without their interpreters?
>

> Where's then the problem? The problem is that Gambas gbx is a program
> and not a library? It is
> strange.
>
> Currenly almost all programs doing anything interesting have
> dependencies, and this is not
> a problem as Linux distributions install these dependencies, or you can
> download them from
> internet.
>
> The only real problem I can see is that Gambas is recent software and
> not all the distributions
> include that runtime. This is not a problem, for example for
> Linex/Ubuntu/Debian users as
> they have official packages for Gambas at linex.org. But if the program
> were compiled, you'd
> have the same problem: you'd need the libgambas.so and all the rest of
> libraries installed
> (recent version of QT/GTK, may be SDL, may be libxml, may be libcurl and
> of course glibc)
>
> And as Rob says, there would be not a big difference in performance, as
> the major part of the
> work is done internally in the gbx program or in the linked libraries,
> written in C or C++.

Ok. I agree but it would be nice that i can say my user: this is a
package of my program and this is a package of interpreter witch my
program require.
And now i must tell: this is a package of my program and you must install
also a gambas program to run it (all IDE program).

Arek.
My English is rather not good so i don't know that i clearly express.