[Gambas-user] Re: Maybe a weird question

Joseph Murphy njmurphy1 at ...734...
Tue Jun 28 23:02:18 CEST 2005

Hi All
 The problem is not that gbx needs to be installed but that to get any
program to run that has been written with Gambas all of Gambas needs to be
installed.  There is a great picture that explains the architecture of
Gambas.
http://gambas.sourceforge.net/architecture.html

 It's clear that gbx is needed and components are also needed.  But why do I
need to install the IDE and the examples?  None of that is shown in the
architecture of the internals of Gambas.  Everything is already compiled
all that is needed is better documentation on what has been installed so
that it can be packaged for distribution. To put it another way:  All I
want is the bananna but I am forced to take the gorilla along with it.

 This problem is really showing a weakness of Linux.  The /usr/bin directory
is like my junk drawer in my office, everthing gets thrown in there.  Linux
has 32 character  file names and we have a thousand files in there with two
or three character filenames.  This is lazy.  It's my opinion that the
search path should be recursive.  That way when I install a program I can
have /usr/bin in my path but install gambas into /usr/bin/Gambas and not
have to add that to my PATH.  Maybe I should get my hammer out and pound on
the bash source for awhile.

Joseph