[Gambas-user] Beginner questions

Daniel Campos daniel.campos at ...338...
Mon Mar 8 21:36:45 CET 2004

> i saw that there were a projetc on doing rpms
> would this avoid installing gambas ?

mmmh... May be Rob can reply better than me, but I think the rpm
provides just the gambas program, yo you need already the rest of
the gambas stuff...

You can compare this with VB, you don't need the complete VB installed,
but you need msbvmXX.dll, vb.dll, DCOM, etc, if you want a really small
package you should test what you need: at least libgambas.so , gbx
,(gbi?, gbc?), the info files, etc... may be you'd prefer just to
install gambas (I think soon, there will be packages for
a lot of distributions)

> > Yes, but there are some restrictions. I mean you can use gambas for a
> > 'closed' program, but if you use the graphical part, you should pay a QT
> > commercial license ( I think it's cheaper than Windows programming
> > environments :-)
> >

> No QT is IIRC as expensibve as ms tools under windows
> I thought , probably wrong, that the QT using as free only implied to
> release sources as GPL. Am I wrong ?

If you release a "Gambas-QT" program under GPL or LGPL, you have to pay
nothing to Trolltech, however, if you do not want a free license for
your program, you've to pay the commercial license

> :))
>

> >>Now i want to speak about the OpenOffice.org (OOo) project
> >>You may perharps know that OOo allow a lot of language to connect to it
> >>(c++, java, python, delphi, VB, perl, php (through com) ...)
> >>OOo gives a framework for doing this called UNO
> >>There are a lot of examples (mainly java and C++) that explain how to
> >>connect an application do OOo
> >

> > I think something like the OOo OCX, an OpenOffice component for gambas
> > would be interesting, but I had never found clear information about
> > OpenOffice API before you wrote that! Where can I find more?
> >

> not the ocx already given by OOo. It's only a viewer to pen OOo files in IE
>
> more info at
> *http://udk.openofficE.org/
> http://udk.openofficE.org/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html
> *http://api.openoffice.org/SDK/index.html --> the SDK developers guide
> chapter 3 and 4 deal with C++ uno components
> I can send you some code in private uiif you're inetrrested in it

Yes, I'm interested in that, may be that will be one of my next steps,
however first I have to finish the 'net.curl' component, and I'm so busy
these weeks!, however you will receive news from me in the next months,
sure!