[Gambas-user] Beginner questions

Laurent Godard listes.godard at ...11...
Mon Mar 8 21:18:09 CET 2004

Hi Daniel,

>>- is Gambas self contained ? if i want to redistribut my programs, what
>>will i need as dependancies
>

> You should install gambas in the target computer, as all components are
> libraries dinamically linked, provided with gambas package, however, you
> don't need to install Gambas-IDE  nor Gambas-database-manager. You can
> keep hard disk space if you do not install documentation.

i saw that there were a projetc on doing rpms
would this avoid installing gambas ?

>>- licensing terms : am i allowed to sell my programs ? i am independant
>>developper and event if i release all my sources under LGPL, am i
>>allowed to work on a gambas project and be paid
>

> Yes, but there are some restrictions. I mean you can use gambas for a
> 'closed' program, but if you use the graphical part, you should pay a QT
> commercial license ( I think it's cheaper than Windows programming
> environments :-)

No QT is IIRC as expensibve as ms tools under windows
I thought , probably wrong, that the QT using as free only implied to
release sources as GPL. Am I wrong ?

>>- any idea of portability of UI under windows schedule ? I red it is
>>planned but is the work going on ? I think this feature would give a
>>huge boost to the gambas project
>

> May be in the future, using cygwin...

:))

>>Now i want to speak about the OpenOffice.org (OOo) project
>>You may perharps know that OOo allow a lot of language to connect to it
>>(c++, java, python, delphi, VB, perl, php (through com) ...)
>>OOo gives a framework for doing this called UNO
>>There are a lot of examples (mainly java and C++) that explain how to
>>connect an application do OOo
>

> I think something like the OOo OCX, an OpenOffice component for gambas
> would be interesting, but I had never found clear information about
> OpenOffice API before you wrote that! Where can I find more?

not the ocx already given by OOo. It's only a viewer to pen OOo files in IE

more info at
*http://udk.openofficE.org/
http://udk.openofficE.org/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html
*http://api.openoffice.org/SDK/index.html --> the SDK developers guide
chapter 3 and 4 deal with C++ uno components
I can send you some code in private uiif you're inetrrested in it

i can find more
i advise you if interrested to subscribe to some dev mailing lists (feel
free to contcat me)

Thanks a lot for your response

laurent