[Gambas-user] Beginner questions

Daniel Campos daniel.campos at ...338...
Mon Mar 8 21:10:12 CET 2004

El lun, 08-03-2004 a las 20:34, Laurent Godard escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> After many years spent under windows (and mainly VB programming), i
> switched to linux 10 days ago
>
> And then i found it !!! Tha Gambas project !! exactly what i was looking
> for ....
>
> I'm a developper mainly actually involved in OpenOfice.org. I have some
> theoritical knowledge of C/C++ and java but i'm not experienced enough
> to write deep applications ...
>
> Before diving into Gambas, i have some basic questions i didn't find the
> answers on the web site
> - is Gambas self contained ? if i want to redistribut my programs, what
> will i need as dependancies

You should install gambas in the target computer, as all components are
libraries dinamically linked, provided with gambas package, however, you
don't need to install Gambas-IDE  nor Gambas-database-manager. You can
keep hard disk space if you do not install documentation.

> - licensing terms : am i allowed to sell my programs ? i am independant
> developper and event if i release all my sources under LGPL, am i
> allowed to work on a gambas project and be paid

Yes, but there are some restrictions. I mean you can use gambas for a
'closed' program, but if you use the graphical part, you should pay a QT
commercial license ( I think it's cheaper than Windows programming
environments :-)

> - any idea of portability of UI under windows schedule ? I red it is
> planned but is the work going on ? I think this feature would give a
> huge boost to the gambas project

May be in the future, using cygwin...

> Now i want to speak about the OpenOffice.org (OOo) project
> You may perharps know that OOo allow a lot of language to connect to it
> (c++, java, python, delphi, VB, perl, php (through com) ...)
> OOo gives a framework for doing this called UNO
> There are a lot of examples (mainly java and C++) that explain how to
> connect an application do OOo

I think something like the OOo OCX, an OpenOffice component for gambas
would be interesting, but I had never found clear information about
OpenOffice API before you wrote that! Where can I find more?