[Gambas-user] make install 0.83

ron ronstk at ...239...
Tue Feb 10 16:18:40 CET 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 14:47, Rob wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2004 06:04, ron wrote:
> > Gambas as platform to make programs is super and not to
> > complex. Why can't it be for C to, the languge is not the bad
> > thing but the stuff (environment) around it is to complex i
> > think.
>
> When you get right down to it, C's function in modern operating
> systems is that of a portable, slightly abstracted assembler.
> Ultimately you're twiddling bits of memory directly, and you
> call functions in shared libraries by (to oversimplify a bit)
> them.  This means that sometimes seemingly minor changes can
> make everything blow up with a segv, and even bugfix releases
> can introduce incompatibilities at the source level, especially
> when the developer assumes that everyone is building everything
> from scratch instead of installing packages.
>
> In your case, it sounds like you've been bitten by SuSE's lack of
> a package manager with dependency handling that can deal with
> packages not produced by SuSE.  Red Hat has it (apt-rpm or yum),
> Mandrake has it (urpmi, which I even like better than apt),
> Debian has it (apt).  With SuSE, and they're not the only
> offender by any means, if you're not installing an official
> package you're stuck in dependency hell.  And it sounds like
> they don't really make newer versions of packages available for
> older versions of SuSE (I can't blame them because of all the
> regression testing that would need to happen.)
>
> I would suggest learning how to package your own RPM's for SuSE
> and maybe even becoming SuSE's gambas maintainer, because I was
> almost as much in the dark as you a year ago before I started
> doing it for Mandrake.  (I even started my packaging based on an
> old, obsolete SuSE source rpm, so it's not unheard of.)  You
> could start by finding the source rpm of libcurl for SuSE 9.0
> and see if you can build it for SuSE 8.2 by going rpm --rebuild
> (or maybe rpmbuild --rebuild) libcurl-whatever.src.rpm.  If that
> fails on you, email me and I'll see if I can help you out.
>
> But it sounds like you've solved your problem in the short term,
> so all of this may be unnecessary for this version at least.
>
> > I did try Kdevelop but it's not so simple to write and run
> > instant as gambas
>
> PerlQt with PQtDesigner isn't bad, and I actually prefer it for
> some things (because it's perl ;) ) but it's not as easy or as
> quick as gambas.
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

First alinea:
I understand this part, it's needed to be able to run on different platforms
and distro's to.

Second alinea:
SuSE uses also RH rpm based files. That should not be the problem.
With Yast, there install handler for rpm's, the problem is it can not see what
is installed with Kpackage and Kpackage not what is done by Yast.
I understand this as fact.

What I don't like is you are not able to uninstall with Yast  easy way.
Yast start (un)install if you press the button 'Accept' and when Yast is ready
it close the window. Result about success or failure is not shown.
You have to guess the results.

If I try to install the lower version he says a newer version is already
installed and that after I did uninstall of it before?.
Lack of a force install here?
I had this problem before with the C compiler, libxml2 and now with curl. All
where installed with Yast.

That SuSE not releases new packages for old suse versions is to understand.

Third alinea:
> I would suggest learning how to package your own RPM's for SuSE
> and maybe even becoming SuSE's gambas maintainer, because I was

You guess it. I wish I could help Benoit a bit. The idea to make the .rpm for
SuSE 8.2 and 9.0 isn't so bad but I can only test on 8.2.
Two are possible, a binairy and a source.
The binairy is nice for people to start instant with gambas. A global layout
what must be in the pack can be stolen from an other package from SuSE.

For a source pack the question raises why. The .gz works o.k. sofar almost
every time for every user out of the box.
This time I was one of the few that had problems I could handle after the good
0.8.0 till 0.8.2 results.

For me is there an other question. I unpack it in /usr/local/src an do the
compile and install as root (bad way i know). I don't have a guide rule if it
should be done in /usr/src or /usr/local/src. Both have a bin and when i use
the local path my trials are in /usr/local/bin and not poluting /usr/bin.
Or should i use /home/myname/src (/root/src). I wish gambas for all users
available (there is only one, thats me).
Configure installs it in /opt/gambas and that sounds as global for all users.
I think for this part, linux rulez (SuSE rulez),  i'm a big newbie.

Your suggestion to repack libcurl for SuSE 8.2 from source is also nice.
The rpm is version 3.0.6 from RH on my system.
rpm {--rebuild} [--rcfile <file>] [-v] source1.rpm ... sourceN.rpm
I have a choice 7.10.5 (suse9.0) or the real one 7.11.x
I need 7.10.2 to know where and what for suse8.2 (curl, yast depends on it )
i need 7.10.5 to know the connections between curl, crypt and ssl (??)
i need 7.11.x to have the version for the net component.
Versions before 7.10.6 is to low regarding Daniels comment.
I will start the download for 7.11 and take a look.
Ater all I have to repair the curl stuff anyway.
The binairy should be still the original 7.10.2 but the -devel is from 7.10.5

Any help is welcome, as I say before I am newbie for this system stuff.
This is already again to long, I know, but I'm stand alone for this and will
forget the unwashed windows/fenster/ramen.

Ron