[Gambas-user] make install 0.83

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Feb 9 14:47:02 CET 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 06:04, ron wrote:
> Gambas as platform to make programs is super and not to
> complex. Why can't it be for C to, the languge is not the bad
> thing but the stuff (environment) around it is to complex i
> think.

When you get right down to it, C's function in modern operating
systems is that of a portable, slightly abstracted assembler.
Ultimately you're twiddling bits of memory directly, and you
call functions in shared libraries by (to oversimplify a bit)
them.  This means that sometimes seemingly minor changes can
make everything blow up with a segv, and even bugfix releases
can introduce incompatibilities at the source level, especially
when the developer assumes that everyone is building everything
from scratch instead of installing packages.

In your case, it sounds like you've been bitten by SuSE's lack of
a package manager with dependency handling that can deal with
packages not produced by SuSE.  Red Hat has it (apt-rpm or yum),
Mandrake has it (urpmi, which I even like better than apt),
Debian has it (apt).  With SuSE, and they're not the only
offender by any means, if you're not installing an official
package you're stuck in dependency hell.  And it sounds like
they don't really make newer versions of packages available for
older versions of SuSE (I can't blame them because of all the
regression testing that would need to happen.)

I would suggest learning how to package your own RPM's for SuSE
and maybe even becoming SuSE's gambas maintainer, because I was
almost as much in the dark as you a year ago before I started
doing it for Mandrake.  (I even started my packaging based on an
old, obsolete SuSE source rpm, so it's not unheard of.)  You
could start by finding the source rpm of libcurl for SuSE 9.0
and see if you can build it for SuSE 8.2 by going rpm --rebuild
(or maybe rpmbuild --rebuild) libcurl-whatever.src.rpm.  If that
fails on you, email me and I'll see if I can help you out.

But it sounds like you've solved your problem in the short term,
so all of this may be unnecessary for this version at least.

> I did try Kdevelop but it's not so simple to write and run
> instant as gambas

PerlQt with PQtDesigner isn't bad, and I actually prefer it for
some things (because it's perl ;) ) but it's not as easy or as
quick as gambas.

Rob