[Gambas-user] eXtremgui is now downloadable again

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Thu Apr 22 15:54:05 CEST 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 03:37, Daniel Oxley wrote:
> Rob, I think we all already know the answer to your
> questions.......

Olivier may not have known the questions needed to be asked,
though.  I think people need to be aware now (while Gambas is
still in its infancy) that if you check off the "gb.qt"
component in your project, you are (from a legal perspective)
probably linking against Qt/Free and thus your Gambas project
probably must be GPL.  From the GPL FAQ:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL

Q.  If a programming language interpreter is released under the
GPL, does that mean programs written to be interpreted by it
must be under GPL-compatible licenses?

A. [..] when the interpreter is extended to provide "bindings" to
other facilities (often, but not necessarily, libraries), the
interpreted program is effectively linked to the facilities it
uses through these bindings. So if these facilities are released
under the GPL, the interpreted program that uses them must be
released in a GPL-compatible way. [...]

(end quote)

Now, the GPL FAQ is not itself part of the GPL, but it does
reflect the intent of the GPL's creators and the intent of
people who license their code under the GPL unless otherwise
noted.  So personally, I wouldn't take the risk of releasing a
closed-source Gambas program that used the Qt module.  I suppose
you could ask Trolltech what their interpretation of the GPL is
in this case, but I think we all know again what their answer
will be, as they are not a charity for commercial endeavors.

As an aside, Gtk and wxWidgets are both LGPL, meaning this issue
would not exist if you used them (LGPL lets you link closed
source programs against LGPL'ed libraries.)  So those who would
like to distribute closed-source Gambas programs should consider
contributing to the Gtk or wxWidgets component efforts that may
or may not still be underway.  I am happy with Qt myself but I
understand there are people who don't want to GPL their Gambas
projects.

If someone could translate the gist of what I'm saying into
French, it might help Olivier and other people understand this.
It is very difficult to discuss legal ramifications across
languages (at least for me.)

Rob