[Gambas-user] Crossplatform

Radoslav Dejanovic radoslav.dejanovic at ...116...
Mon May 26 16:28:08 CEST 2003

On Monday 26 May 2003 03:21 pm, Fabien wrote:

> For windows... hem ... it's not really the same but we will see.

Yup, making port to NT isn't trivial, however, if the language is clean, easy
and has some power, we'll find someone to port to Windows.

> For the first time, we really need your help, and a professionnal help, if
> we want to make gambas as a usefull tool. We need, help for the lib making,
> qt, and socket and gtk+. So we need c++ and c Develloper who want to have a
> simple and speedy tool.

I myself am not really a programmer (although I did develop some C and Perl
software, and I'm acquainted to VB), but I'd be glad to help in any way I can.
But for the first thing, I have to get this thing working on my SuSE 8.2 box..
:))

> (hem and french traducer.... To help me in the help traduction !)

dictionary: to traduce -

1 : to expose to shame or blame by means of falsehood and misrepresentation
2 : VIOLATE, BETRAY <traduce a principle of law>
synonym see MALIGN

Oh yes, I do think that help system should be traduced, as long as Benoit or
someone else make it much better and easier to read. :)))))

> Because Gambas is, before all a console tool.
> I think the first idea of the gambas parents is make a free linguage,
> independent off all integration system.
> Actually we can use gambas with qt, but we cant use gambas sole
> That's the power of gambas and thats the power of unix too !

That's just fine, but why not try to go one step further? Many people are
afraid of learning Java, but they find the cross-platform operability quite
appealing. If we're talking console, we can talk Linux and Mac OS X (but bear
in mind that for Mac user, OS X *is* it's GUI, and only gurus will tamper
with the CLI), and we surely aren't talking Windows.
Then, think about the future: regardless of what we think of console, it is
the fact that future software will be GUI-ed and that many people, among them
professionals, will demand GUI over CLI. GUI is not the future, it is
present. Now, take all this into consideration, make cross platform tool and
enjoy your share of makin the world better place for everyone. ;)

Just for example, Runtime Revolution I've mentioned allow me to use Macintosh
originated script language in RAD enviroment that produces binary for Mac,
Linux and Windows, and I can take Windows binary and run it under wine if I
want to, and I can send this to my friend who's using Windows, and I can do
all this seated at my SuSE box, no need to go to my Titanium or reboot to
Windows, and I can even use some debugging trough wine. :-)

I'd like to be able to do that with Gambas, too.

> hem ... have you understand me ?

I suppose so. :)

--
Radoslav Dejanović