[Gambas-user] 0.40 pre-release

Marco Bauer elentirmo at ...20...
Tue Dec 3 15:54:58 CET 2002

Am Sonntag, 1. Dezember 2002 19:29 schrieb Benoît Minisini:
> Dear gambas users,
>
> I have just made a PRE-VERSION of gambas 0.40 only for the mailing-list
> subscribers.
>
> You can download it at the following URL:
>
> http://gambas.sourceforge.net/gambas-0.40pre1.tar.gz
>
> The CWindow.cpp and CWindow.h are present, so that this pre-version works
> with qt-3.0.3. But qt-3.0.5 is highly recommended !
>
> Many SuSE 8.x users have problems with gambas. This pre-version writes
> debug messages when executing child processes, so that I could have an idea
> of what happens when gambas freezes under a SuSE.
>
> This pre-version contains an experimental KDE component. Try it: with this
> component, your application is a real KDE application, and uses the KDE
> color dialog chooser instead of the QT one. The problems are that the KDE
> font chooser is less powerful than the QT one (!), that the KDE file
> choosers don't work and freeze, and that stopping this KDE application with
> kdcop crashes it. I don't know why !
>
> The component loader has changed its use of dlopen() (the API that loads
> shared libraries), so that the KDE component do not crash. Everything seems
> to be right on my Mandrake 9.0, but this may have side effects on other
> systems. I think dlopen() crashes rely on the gcc version. Mandrake gcc
> version is 3.2.
>
> Those who didn't reply to my survey can still do it... Even if everything
> works perfectly !
>
> Waiting for your comments :-) ...
>
> Regards,

Hello Benoît,

I compiled 0.40pre1 without any problems, I just had to tell the
configure-script where to find the kde-includes and -libraries (SuSE 8.0:
/opt/kde3/include & /opt/kde3/lib).
As before gambas sometimes crashes or hangs when I start it or when I try to
run/compile a program. Here is, what is displayed when gambas hangs at
startup:

run_process 0x80df800: gbx -V > /tmp/.gambas.marco.ver
fork: pid = 1878

What irritates me, is the fact that gambas doesn't crash or hang when I start
it with 'strace gambas'. Maybe it's a SuSE-thing.

It seems that the KDE component doesn't work for me. The only thing that
happens when I try to run a program with this component activated is that the
debug window appears and shortly thereafter vanishes, as if the program never
was started.

I think you have done a great job in bringing gambas to us all and I am very
thankfull for this.

Regards,
Marco Bauer