[Gambas-devel] Deb package creation broken

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Oct 16 15:53:18 CEST 2007

On mardi 16 octobre 2007, José Luis Redrejo wrote:
> Hi, I've checked since revision 660, Debian package creation is broken due
> to the
> " NEW: A new option for using or not the release version number when
> creating an installation package." feature.
>
> Whenever this option is used, the package creation was broken. I can fix
> it, so created packages would have "0-0" as version, but
> I'm not able to understand the reason for this "feature", and I would like
> to know if ignoring it while making deb packages would be acceptable.
>
> At least, I would like to know why that's the default behaviour, instead of
> using the number of the version, that seems to be much more reasonable.
>
> Regards.
>
> José L.

The real project version number is the string Major & "." & Minor. The third
number is a revision number, and is usually the number of times the project
was build.

The revision number should not be used in package version as it is not its
place.

I just wanted to let the user insert it in the version string anyway by using
this new option.

In RPM packages, I can use "X.Y" or "X.Y.Z" as version string in the package
name and in the package description.

Maybe I modified wrongly the Debian package creation function, I don't know if
there is a convention in the naming of package versions. I should have told
you before, sorry! :-)