[Gambas-devel] Vector Graphics (needs more versatility!!!)

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Jan 29 16:52:47 CET 2006

On Sunday 29 January 2006 16:36, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> I have noticed the Drawing control can only use pre-existing SVG files.
> One useful feature might be either (1) accept an SVG stored in a String or
> even better (2) accept an SVG stored in a String array or even better (3)
> accept a Collection of SVG strings and have "object" support (where the
> names of the "objects" are the keys in the Collection "array" and the
> control could be instructed to show or hide specific "objects".
>
> I'm trying to think forward to ways to use this control for vectorized
> animation which would be a powerful addition.  It would be great if
> "Vectorized Entity" objects could be created that generate their SVG
> strings based on their vertex settings, color settings and such then you
> could make the entities move, animate limbs or other parts, etc...

The SVG support of QT3 is experimental. Things will be better with QT4.

> It would be a Made-in-Gambas solution too!  Vector animators would have
> the choice of Windoze-only Flash proprioware (closed source, no
> reverse-engineering allowed) or potentially cross-platform Gambas-based
> vector animation openware (by openware I mean "the hood is open to look
> inside" ware, that is, free as in freedom).  I can see big things possible
> were this functionality used in conjunction with, say, gb.net to do a
> fully-animated multi-player game.

As I said before, QT4 seems to support SVG completely (at least better than
QT3), and there is a free Flash player replacement being developed by GNU. So
I think it just a matter of time to have a complete animated vector drawing
solutions.