[Gambas-devel] Vector Graphics (needs more versatility!!!)

Christopher Brian Jack brian at ...418...
Sun Jan 29 16:36:22 CET 2006

I have noticed the Drawing control can only use pre-existing SVG files.
One useful feature might be either (1) accept an SVG stored in a String or
even better (2) accept an SVG stored in a String array or even better (3)
accept a Collection of SVG strings and have "object" support (where the
names of the "objects" are the keys in the Collection "array" and the
control could be instructed to show or hide specific "objects".

I'm trying to think forward to ways to use this control for vectorized
animation which would be a powerful addition.  It would be great if
"Vectorized Entity" objects could be created that generate their SVG
strings based on their vertex settings, color settings and such then you
could make the entities move, animate limbs or other parts, etc...

It would be a Made-in-Gambas solution too!  Vector animators would have
the choice of Windoze-only Flash proprioware (closed source, no
reverse-engineering allowed) or potentially cross-platform Gambas-based
vector animation openware (by openware I mean "the hood is open to look
inside" ware, that is, free as in freedom).  I can see big things possible
were this functionality used in conjunction with, say, gb.net to do a
fully-animated multi-player game.

For 2D games with animated characters and/or the desire to do full screen
cutscenes without having to render video, it's certainly the way to go.
I've seen Anime contests where the entrants only used Shockwave/Flash to
do the animation and I liked what I saw from the entrants.

|  Christopher BRIAN Jack aka "Gau of the Veldt"  |
| brian _AT_ brians-anime _DOT_ com
| brian _AT_ animemayhem _DOT_ com
| brian _AT_ nall.brians-anime _DOT_ com
| brian _AT_ ruby.brians-anime _DOT_ com
| gau_veldt _AT_ hotmail _DOT_ com
Hi Spambots, my email address is sputnik at ...418...