[Gambas-devel] Screenshot from framebuffer?

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Sat Jan 15 19:27:12 CET 2005

On Saturday 15 January 2005 07:56, Kadaitcha Man wrote:
> Rob wrote:
> > On Friday 14 January 2005 19:48, Daniel Campos wrote:
> >> Tonight i've tested the GTK+ component with DirectFB (
> >> www.directfb.org ) and
> >> the gdk-directfb patch from CVS. It works OK! But... how
> > This is awesome news!
> Could I trouble you, please, for the sake of learning, to give
> me a quick hint on why it's good news? There's nothing in the
> thread that tells me. It sounds significant, but I don't
> understand what the significance is.

Well, you could have googled for gtk and directfb, but the short
answer is, this will allow the development of form-based Gambas
apps that don't require X to be running at all, which will be
totally cool for embedded and kiosk type applications.

SDL will also allow the development of Gambas apps that don't
need X, but it's more of a high performance thing for games and
multimedia so you don't have forms, you just treat the whole
screen as a big drawing area.  Gtk/directfb adds normal Gambas
forms to the mix.

Rob