[Gambas-devel] debian packages for gambas

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Sep 22 17:18:42 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 13:42, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> I have modified the debian packages structure for Gambas according to
> the structure Benoît has designed for Mandrake. There is only a couple
> of differences:
> - I have kept a "gambas" package for compatibility with previous
> versions. It is an empty transitional package with gambas-ide as a
> dependency and will disappear in the future.
> - I have created a gambas-doc package split from the gambas-ide package
> thinking in the future. If we get different translations of the
> documentation it would be useful to have gambas-doc-es (it is already
> being prepared), gambas-doc-fr, etc. The gambas-ide has now a gambas-doc
> dependency, but in the future that dependency could be something like
> gambas-doc|gambas-doc-es|gambas-doc-fr and spanish or french users will
> not need to install all the english docs.  The rest of the packages are
> exactly the same Benoît has prepared for Mandarake with identical files
> inside.
>
>  Attached is the debian directory that has to replace the one that we
> have in Gambas sources.
> The README.DEBIAN file included in the sources contains wrong
> information and it should be deleted or replaced with the updated data.
> Something like:
>
> ########begin the text############
> To use gambas packages you will need Debian Sarge or Sid at least. Woody
> Debian version doesn't work at all.
> If you want to create Gambas Debian packages from scratch  just type
> "dpkg-buildpackage" inside the root Gambas sources. If you need to
> install some development packages in your system this command will tell
> you the names.
>
> If you want to install binary packages using apt, just add the following
> line to the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file:
>
> deb http://www.linex.org/sources/linex/debian/ cl gambas
>
> Then execute:
> apt-get update
> apt-get install gambas-ide
> ############################
>
> The above sources.list line could be changed replacing "cl" by "sarge",
> that will be made all the Linex distro packages to the system, but it is
> not too useful if you are not using that distro.
>
> This information should also be updated in the gambas web page. At least
> the sources.list line.
>

> On the other hand, I haven't received any answer related to my question
> in the message
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5598316&forum_id=235

Sorry, but I have few time!

>60 I would like to know if Benoît prefer that I modify the code to build
> original debian packages, or solve the problems building rpm packages in a
> Debian box. In the last case I will need help. Right now I don't know why
> the RPM/tmp/any_gambas_application-buildroot/usr/share/menu directory is
> not created in Debian. I think this is an important bug that should be
> solved before the 1.0 release.

So am I!

The debian case is difficult, as we shpould be able:
1) to create debian packages from a rpm based system with alien.
2) to create debian packages from a debian-based system without alien.

Send me some code to create debian packages from a debian system. I will add a
test in the IDE to decide using it or using alien, by checking the existence
of executables.

> Suggestions and comments are welcome. Regards.

mailto:gambas at ...1...