[Gambas-devel] debian packages for gambas

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at ...101...
Wed Sep 22 13:42:13 CEST 2004

I have modified the debian packages structure for Gambas according to
the structure Benoît has designed for Mandrake. There is only a couple
of differences:
- I have kept a "gambas" package for compatibility with previous
versions. It is an empty transitional package with gambas-ide as a
dependency and will disappear in the future.
- I have created a gambas-doc package split from the gambas-ide package
thinking in the future. If we get different translations of the
documentation it would be useful to have gambas-doc-es (it is already
being prepared), gambas-doc-fr, etc. The gambas-ide has now a gambas-doc
dependency, but in the future that dependency could be something like
gambas-doc|gambas-doc-es|gambas-doc-fr and spanish or french users will
not need to install all the english docs.  The rest of the packages are
exactly the same Benoît has prepared for Mandarake with identical files
inside.

 Attached is the debian directory that has to replace the one that we
have in Gambas sources.
The README.DEBIAN file included in the sources contains wrong
information and it should be deleted or replaced with the updated data.
Something like:

########begin the text############
To use gambas packages you will need Debian Sarge or Sid at least. Woody
Debian version doesn't work at all.
If you want to create Gambas Debian packages from scratch  just type
"dpkg-buildpackage" inside the root Gambas sources. If you need to
install some development packages in your system this command will tell
you the names.

If you want to install binary packages using apt, just add the following
line to the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file:

deb http://www.linex.org/sources/linex/debian/ cl gambas

Then execute:
apt-get update
apt-get install gambas-ide

The above sources.list line could be changed replacing "cl" by "sarge",
that will be made all the Linex distro packages to the system, but it is
not too useful if you are not using that distro.

This information should also be updated in the gambas web page. At least
the sources.list line.

On the other hand, I haven't received any answer related to my question
in the message
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5598316&forum_id=23560 I would like to know if Benoît prefer that I modify the code to build original debian packages, or solve the problems building rpm packages in a Debian box. In the last case I will need help. Right now I don't know why the RPM/tmp/any_gambas_application-buildroot/usr/share/menu directory is not created in Debian. I think this is an important bug that should be solved before the 1.0 release.

Suggestions and comments are welcome. Regards.