[Gambas-devel] Translating

Ron Onstenk ronstk at ...124...
Sun Nov 7 20:18:24 CET 2004

On Sunday 07 November 2004 16:25, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 November 2004 16:54, Ron Onstenk wrote:
> > Hi Benoit,
> >
> > Toolbax/Toolbar:
> > I found a inconsistency.
> > On the Tools->Preference->Other
> > For the 'Toolbox' options is says 'Animate Toolbar move'
> > What bar is animated?
> > Does it animate moving the window or the selected control
> > during drag of it?
> >

> It should be "Animate toolbox panels" I think - Is it clearer ?

Correct, thats what I mean.

> > For translating 'tools' are the tools you have in your toolbox by i.e. car
> > repair. In Gambas or VB it means 'Control' objects to use for placing on
> > the form. Should it not be named as 'Controls Box' or 'Controlbox' ?
> > However 'Controlbox' is a box we use to control the settings/behavior of
> > a i.e. machine, so I prefer 'Controls' more without 'Box'.
>
> ??? You mean: Control box insted of Tool box, that's it ?

Yes, it looks to me more consistent to what it contains.
The only exeption is the 'Arrow' to draw/select ranges for
a action to do and is the only tool loke a like ATM.

The VB/GB term 'Control(s)' or C 'Widget(s)' do not need really a translating
but 'Tool' does because it is a general purpose tool to handle something
and this is not specific VB/GB/C related.
So my answer is yes, I _personal_ belive it is more correct here.
Not that 'Tool' is absolutly wrong, but in translating it is/can be.

> > Comment:

-- snip---

> > By using the trick to use 1 translating for several forms/class/module,
> > as is done currently, can be wrong for translating because the English word
> > translated to the local language can be different, in context it is used.
>
> You are right.

Thanks :)

> > How to solve combined MSGID for several forms but different MSGSTR?
>
> By replaeing the default english texts being a problem by numbers, for
> example, then by translating these numbers into the correct messages, finally
> by having an english translation so that numbers are not displayed in an
> english country.

This is done in MS VB, it is good to get compact code also but
in VB that is not programmer friendly.
Your way as txt1 = ("To translate Text") is much better as
MS VB txt.caption = ("MSGID")
They did it for the menu's and captions.

The English translating must be there any way.
Gambas goes in the local language/country settings on start.
I make the program with menu,labels and control captions in Dutch.
Here the Dutch language will be the template for translating to i.e. Spanish.

I have to make a translating to English at least to inform the
others what the Dutch captions and menu mean.
Daniel Campos does not know what 'GereedschapDoos' means. :)
msgid="GereedschapDoos" (in en.po ??? this is Dutch!!!)
msgstr="ToolBox" (in es.po)

Or the development must be in English, what is imposible because
gambas on start goes in the local language/country settings.
The bad circle, chicken and egg question.
The MSGID should not be a real number but a very short message
explaining the content of the real message, i.e.

  msgid="ReadyToMakeRpm" in all *.po
  msgstr="We are ready to make the RPM package" for English in en.po
  msgstr="We kunnen nu het RPM pakket gaan maken" for Dutch in nl.po

The translation form should show the msgid and 2 or more languages columns
AnnounceMakeRpm | De Nederlanse text | The English translating [ | Die Deutsche uberzetzung ]

The nice part is the translator has the posibility of a sneak peek in
a other language to see a hint what can be a good translating, as I can use
German as hint or a few French/Spanish terms.
Daniel can use English, Espanol and French or Italian as hints.

For now it can stay _as is_ but may be corrected after 1.0 is there.

> > 583 of 579 97% done.
> > I managed to get it in the KDE's i18n KBabel tree for assistence.
> > The last part are the big messages to do, they must make sence in
> > normal speaking Dutch, and proofreading by the Fabrice (and KDE team?)
> >
> > Greets Ron

KBabel is a good help, but the way KDE and KBable use the translating is not
direct compatible with Gambas for the layout of the files and file names. :(

> Thanks for your work.
>
> Regards,

Still working after a few days rest, doctor complianed.

Ron.